6.14.2007

would Jesus drink my coffee?

Since I find myself becoming more and more addicted to coffee, I looked into this whole fair trade issue because I've heard that coffee farmers are severly effected by this. There is a documentary out called Black Gold that I would really like to see but can't figure out how (no listings in Dallas). If anyone has seen it or might know how I could see it, let me know.

As believers, people who are called to participate in bringing people to the worldwide Redeemer, what is our role in demonstrating redemptive behavior through even the most minute tasks that have worldwide ramifications, such as buying a cup of joe? As a follower of Jesus, should we have a conviction about the fair treatment of the many men and women who harvest our espresso beans? I'm not saying that buying fair trade products will transform the hearts of Ethiopan coffee farmers, but I'm just wondering if such a conviction is valid. When Jesus tells the parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:33-37, did he imply that our "neighbor" was just somebody within arms reach or is it those in need whom we become aware of regardless of boundaries, regions, and ethnicity? As globalization becomes more and more of a reality, I believe we must face that question. Would Jesus drink my coffee?

No comments: